There are many reasons that an aspiring author would seek the services of a book publication assistant (BPA). These individuals are often recent college graduates with some experience in copy editing and proofreading. But who have little to no knowledge about the publishing industry. After all, how can you get a job in publishing without first being published? Book publication assistants are responsible for everything from finding a title and cover design to formatting their manuscripts.
If your manuscript has been accepted by an editor, don’t waste any time getting help from a book publication assistant. Their work is not only necessary, but can make the difference between thousands of dollars in profits or a lifetime of debt. There is no shame in using the services of a BPA; they will often make your book more profitable than it would be otherwise.
Whether you’re looking to get your foot in the door in publishing. Or you’re an author just trying to finish your book. Here are some of the best places to look for book publication assistants around the world:
Duties/Roles of a Book Publication Assistant:
- An estimated 120,000 books are published every year in the US alone. A lot of them are able to make it to the bestseller list after a lot of hard work.
- The publishing industry is at the heart of the economy and one of the most important parts of it is the Book Publication Assistants.
- Book Publication Assistants perform all kinds of administrative duties for book publishers, including accounting duties and paying royalties to authors; overseeing operations such as returns, sales, and marketing; editing; and scheduling.
- They also assist with many tasks in production, including proofreading and page layout. A Book Publication Assistant has to be multifaceted since their job description can vary from day to day. Depending on what project they are working on.
- Book publication assistants are responsible for helping with marketing tasks. Such as keeping track of sales figures in order to help set future printing schedules. Deciding how much money should be spent on advertising or travel budget.
- They also keep track of an author’s progress towards completing their next work. By collecting information about what they’re working on as well as any deadlines they may have to meet.
- Book publication assistants can also be involved in editing jobs that involve proofreading or copyediting. As part of this job function, they ensure that all content is supervised and final, and lastly, Good To Go!
Big names in Book Publication Assistances Include:
Richard Curtis –
Richard Curtis is an assistant editor at Simon & Schuster UK. He has worked with many authors including Stephen King, Neil Gaiman and Virginia Woolf.
Betsy Robbins –
Betsy Robbins works as an editor for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. She edits books like “The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-Time” by Mark Haddon. “The Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood among others. She has also worked as an assistant editor for Random House Inc., St Martin’s Press and Penguin Books Ltd. As well as being an agent for Sigrid Nunez Literary Agency
Book In A Box –
Book In A Box is a book publishing company that offers high-quality book writing and editing services to authors. Especially for who do not have the time, skills, or inclination to write their own books. They provide a full range of services, including ghostwriting, project management, design, distribution, and marketing.
Their prime service called Book In A Box University. Here they teach you how to write a book yourself and get it published in 90 days or less. The company was founded by Tucker Max and Nick Palmer in 2012.
AuthorHouse, one of the biggest names in book publication assistants, has been around since 1997. The company offers a wide range of services, including publishing and distribution assistance, e-book creation and marketing support. AuthorHouse also offers a variety of packages for authors seeking assistance with their book writing process. From pre-writing coaching to editing and proofreading services.
AuthorHouse also offers an extensive catalog of books that have been published by its professional staff members.
Big names in book publishing include Lulu, which has been around since 1999 becoming a popular choice for self-publishers. Lulu offers a variety of different services, including cover design, formatting and distribution. However, their most popular service is print-on-demand. This allows authors to make their books available for sale worldwide without having to go through traditional print runs.
It was founded by Amazon in 2005 as an alternative to Lulu for self-published authors looking for print-on-demand services. CreateSpace offers similar features as Lulu but has fewer options when it comes to cover design and distribution options. However, the company does offer free ISBN numbers and discounts on bulk orders, making it a good choice if you’re planning on selling your books wholesale rather than directly through Amazon or other retailers.
Is BPA a Popular Career Choice?
- Book publishing is a popular career choice around the world, and so are many of its supporting roles. Many people work as book publication assistants, or BPA’s for short, which can be an interesting and rewarding job.
- A book publication assistant is one who assists the publishing staff in all their needs.
- They help with making sure that editing is correct. There are appropriate deadlines to ensure the publication process on time. While they make sure everything is running smoothly.
- They also act as a liaison between the authors and the publishers. Since they have better understanding of what the authors want from their books.
- In Canada, a BPA who is very good at computer programs. Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, since most publishing houses use them to make their professional books. Help look even better than they already do.
- It’s also important to get used to working long hours since this is most commonly how things work out mostly.
Book publishing assistants are a great way to self-publish your book. They can help you with everything from formatting to editing and marketing.